Version françaiseEnglish Version

Agrocampus Ouest WebsiteAGROCAMPUS OUEST

Institute for life, food and horticultural sciences and landscaping

Formalities, health and banking

In this section you will find a variety of information (visa application, health and insurance, opening a bank account, employment) intended to make it easier for you to get established in Angers or Rennes and ensure a nice stay.

Administrative formalities


• Are you a European student (EEA member state)?
If so, you do not require a visa.

• Are you a non-European student?
If so, a student visa is compulsory. You must submit an application at the time of your pre-enrolment to AGROCAMPUS OUEST.
Depending on your home country, you must first contact your Campus France office (link to the site) to complete your application and confirm the various steps of your application, then make your visa application once you have received an admission letter informing you that you have been pre-enrolled under certain conditions:
-  to the French Consulate
-  or to visa office of the French Embassy
The central desk will help you with this procedure.

Useful addresses for help with these procedures:

International Mobility Centre
5 bd Laënnec 35000 Rennes
+ 33 (0)2 23 23 79 50

OFII Nantes
9 rue bergère 44000 Nantes
+33 (0) 2 51 72 79 39

Please note: if you are applying for accommodation on our campus (AGROCAMPUS OUEST Rennes Centre), a housing certificate will be sent to you when your admission to AGROCAMPUS OUEST is fully confirmed, in order to enable you to complete your visa application form.



The French health system includes
-  compulsory health insurance : social security
-  additional health insurance, optional
All students (French or foreign) must subscribe a health insurance to cover medical expenses.

> Social security
Are you a European student? (EEA member state) ?
If so, you do not need to make a social security registration. You must, however, ask for a free European health insurance card in your home country. This will allow you to be reimbursed for the medical spending. You are strongly advised to take out additional health insurance.
Are you a French student or a foreign, non-European student ?
In most cases you will be subject to the French social security system. Registration at a student social security centre is compulsory, and is done during your administrative enrolment at AGROCAMPUS OUEST. You do not have to carry out this procedure yourself.
The contribution fee is a lump-sum amount. Contribution in 2013/2014 : €211.
It entitles you to refunds for your medical expenses throughout your entire academic year (at a rate of 70% for visits to the doctor and purchases of pharmaceutical products prescribed by the doctor)

> Additional medical insurance
• For French and foreign students (European and non-European)
Additional insurance complements the social security refund (providing the remaining 30%). It is not compulsory, but is highly recommended.
To take advantage of it, regardless of your age, you must pay an additional contribution fee. Student mutual insurance organisations (LMDE and SMEBA) offer additional insurance policies ranging from €80 to around €300 (depending on the services provided) for one year.

The Service Universitaire de la Médecine Préventive et de Promotion de la Santé [University Preventative Medicine and Health Promotion Service] (SUMPPS) is open to all AGROCAMPUS OUEST students. The SUMPPS will enable you to meet a health team or social worker according to you needs.

Accomodation insurance and assistance

> Accomodation Insurance

Accommodation insurance is compulsory in France.
Whether students live in a university residence or rented premises, they must insure their accommodation. The LMDE and SMEBA centres offer cover for risks related to accommodation.

> Accommodation assistance

You may request housing subsidy payments from the Caisse d'allocations familiales (CAF). This financial assistance will enable you to pay part of your rent.
The necessary information will be provided to you on your arrival.

Other insurance policies

You are required to take out civil liability insurance, which will cover any material or immaterial damage you may cause.
You are also required to insure your accommodation with a home insurance policy.
Additional health insurance policies are offered by banks and insurance firms.


As a foreign student, you will be able to open a bank account. Opening a bank account will enable you to obtain a credit card (€30 to 40 per year) and a chequebook (free).

Which bank should you contact?
To make it easier to open a bank account upon your arrival in France, we recommend that you contact your bank in your country of origin to find out if it is associated with a French network. Agreements also exist between mutual health insurance organisations and some banks.

List of documents to provide
- an ID document (identity card or passport),
- your residence permit (not required by European students),
- proof of residence (electricity invoice, rent receipt, accommodation certificate, etc.).
- an AGROCAMPUS OUEST enrolment certificate

Working in France

Foreign students may work part-time during their study period (964 hours per year maximum) upon presentation of their residence permit (which must be currently valid and indicate their “student” status).


International Department