background

Version françaiseEnglish Version

Agrocampus Ouest WebsiteAGROCAMPUS OUEST

Institute for life, food and horticultural sciences and landscaping

History

Created in 2008, AGROCAMPUS OUEST took over from its two founding institutions, whose origins date back to the 19th century:

  • Agrocampus Rennes (National Institute of Agricultural and Agri-food Higher Education and Research)
  • The Institut national d'horticulture (INH) in Angers

 

More about...

From Agrocampus Rennes to AGROCAMPUS OUEST Rennes Centre

Agrocampus Rennes has its origins in the École d'agriculture de Grandjouan (Loire-Atlantique) founded in 1830. Transferred to Rennes in 1896 onto the site it still occupies today, this national agricultural college for engineers has considerably developed its research-focussed scientific teaching over the decades.
In 1946, the Institut national de recherche agronomique (INRA) [National Agricultural Research Institute] was created and gradually established its place in the college, which in 1962 became the École nationale supérieure agronomique (ENSA).
In 1964, the École nationale supérieure féminine d'agriculture (ENSFA) opened its doors on the campus, giving way in 1990 to the Institut national supérieur de formation agroalimentaire (INSFA).
Since 1995, various research and development structures have been set up on the campus under a strong professional partnership dynamic.
In 2004, the Institut national d’enseignement supérieur et de recherche agronomique et agroalimentaire de Rennes (Agrocampus Rennes) brought together within a single establishment all higher-level courses in agriculture and agri-food (ENSAR and INSFA in particular) taught on this site.
In 2006, with the integration of the EPN-CEMPAMA, National Institution for Training and Educational Experimentation, at Beg-Meil, Agrocampus Rennes took on a support role for the agricultural education system.
In 2008, Agrocampus Rennes and the INH at Angers merged to create AGROCAMPUS OUEST.

From the Institut national d'horticulture to AGROCAMPUS OUEST Angers Centre

A public establishment for higher education and research under the authority of the Ministry of Agriculture, l’Institut National d’Horticulture was created in 1997, through a merger of the Ecole Nationale Supérieure d’Horticulture (ENSH), founded in Versailles in 1874, and the Ecole Nationale des Ingénieurs des Travaux de l’Horticulture et du Paysage (ENITHP), created in Angers in 1971.
Based in Angers, in the heart of one of Europe’s largest horticulture and seed production areas, the INH was organised as follows:
• ENIHP: Ecole Nationale d’Ingénieurs de l’Horticulture et du Paysage [National College of Horticulture and Landscaping Engineers] (5-year courses)
• ENSHAP: Ecole Nationale Supérieure d’Horticulture et d’Aménagement du Paysage [National Higher College of Horticulture and Landscape Development] (3-year courses after 2 years of university education)
In 2008, the INH and Agrocampus Rennes merged to create AGROCAMPUS OUEST.

Contacts

Communications Office

contact@agrocampus-ouest.fr